From Woodland’s Lookout Point, one of the highest point in the city, Dayton’s skyline far surpasses the dreams of John Van Cleve; who was one of the city’s important leaders and Woodland’s founder. By the 1840s, Dayton was outgrowing its original cemetery at Third and Main Streets. The village was growing therefore a larger, more suitable cemetery was needed.
Selecting from thousands of available acres surrounding the city the original trustees, led by John Van Cleve, chose 40 remarkable acres with beautiful hilltop views as well as a wide variety of trees. Opening in 1843, it was for that natural beauty the cemetery was to be named “Woodland.” At that time the location seemed quite far from the center of the little city. Little did they know that, in the decades to come, Dayton would expand to surround Woodland Cemetery.