Woodland was established in 1841 for the expressed purpose of creating a resplendent cemetery landscaped to support a rapidly growing city. Since its very beginning, Woodland has been the conservator of Dayton history and the culture of its people. With over 110,000 souls entrusted to its care, it is the final resting place of many of Dayton’s most distinguished residents including the Wright brothers, Paul Laurence Dunbar, James Cox, Erma Bombeck, and Charles Kettering.
The Romanesque Gateway, Chapel and administrative office are on the National Register of Historic Places. The Chapel has one of the finest original Tiffany windows in the country. The Arboretum, upgraded in status to a Level II Arboretum during the fall of 2017, is among the foremost green spaces in Ohio with over 200 acres adorned with 3,000 trees; including ten current or former state champions.
Woodland remains an active part of the Dayton community as a popular place to walk, relax and enjoy. Foremost, it remains an active cemetery, serving over 1,600 burial and cremation families annually. Even though the cemetery has been in operation for over 175 years there is sufficient undeveloped land available to accommodate more than 50,000 burials, which would equate to over 100 years remaining in active operations. However, Woodland is aware as many others within the funeral industry, that cremation is rapidly increasing as the number one choice for final dispensation. The staff and board works to remain relevant to the needs of the community. Woodland will work to accommodate these changes as well as others to evolve in the future in order to maintain our commitment entrusted to the Cemetery by its founding board.